Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Laugh And Be Happy

Island Rider asked if I would post the recipe for the pear butter I made so...here it is! Several years ago Mama gave me her Ball Blue Book. Now, anybody that knows about canning knows this is a very good book. I love mine. Anyway, this recipe came from there. It very simple and I thought the pear butter came out well and I don't even like pears a whole lot.. I imagine Ball's apple butter would be good too. So, anyway:

Pear Butter

2 quarts pear pulp
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

To prepare pulp: Quarter and core pears. Cook until soft, adding only enough water to prevent sticking. Press through a sieve or food mill. Measure pulp.
Add remaining ingredients; cook until thick, about 35 minutes. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Pour into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 4 pints.

Now, on several of their recipes I have reduced the amount of sugar, as I don't like things so sweet and have had no problems with that. Also, I make up my jams in half pint jars just because they seem to stay fresher, because the opened jar doesn't stay in the fridge so long, but that's just me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.... doggie! I love pears and I bet I would like pear butter, but I'm under-kitchened at the moment, so not doing anything like that. If I had land I would be living the way you do. I miss berry picking and canning.

Doggie made me smile though :) and I always enjoy your posts.

Anon-R.

Island Rider said...

Mmm can't wait to try it!

JoJo said...

Sounds great but I don't do canning, no room for all that. But I did make the quiche it was so good. I had a freind over for breakfast and she loved it to. I have often made your Churchill Cottagecheese pancakes those are also very good. I like easy. Thanks
BTW love the mug and the 6 inc. pie plate.

MamaHen said...

Hey R! Thanks! glad you enjoy the blog!

Hey IR! I hope you like it!

Hey Jojo! you're welcome! glad you enjoyed the quiche and other recipes!