Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday Stroll


The Christmas fern forest is in full gear.  These are the only ferns here, out of about 8 different type, that I can positively identify.


No idea what this type is.  Maybe a type of bracken fern?


Chigger guards the entrance to the Enchanted Forest.


Okay, now these are definitely sensitive ferns; I do know that one too.  They haven't put up their little brown center stalk yet though.


Some very large trillium.  No idea the variety.  I should have gotten one of the chickens to stand by these because they are easily taller than the girls.


My red azaleas are in excellent form this year.  Very pretty.  I can't wait until they are big!  The ferns around these steps and walls just planted themselves.  I haven't moved any so far.  They seemed to have picked good spots.


My opinion is this is a rattlesnake fern........but I could be wrong.  Maybe some type of grape fern.


My photo designer checkin' out the set up before hand.  She's got an eye for detail.  Actually, she's making sure I didn't drop any treats anywhere in the area.   She's got an eye for that too.


My never-ending quest to get some decent photos of the birds around here.  Didn't do too well today.  We had intermittent showers, so that's my excuse.  I was happy to see a male grosbeak again this year but my photos did not come out well at all.  I hope he will be back.

6 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

I enjoyed all of these photos. You live in such a beautiful place. It IS enchanted!:)

Kristin said...

Beautiful! And yes, I believe that is a Bracken Fern. Forests full of ferns, I think, are some of the most beautiful and peaceful places on Earth.

Ed said...

I love ferns but don't see a lot of them up here. Whenever I am among them in the woods, I feel as if I am in the DEEP woods.

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! thank you! it is very nice here.

Hey Kristin! thanks! oh yeah, the ferns always give a place a magical quality, to me.

Hey Ed! Yeah, it often feels that way to me too. I'm lucky enough though, that the "deep" woods are right outside my window here!

JO said...

Northern AZ has lots of ferns like these. I love the way they turn fire red in the fall.

pamit said...

I'm watching for our first grosbeak too. We have both black-headed (which looks like an oriole) and rose-breasted grosbeaks.